Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Band of Brothers...Watch it sometime!"


Harmony and I have been watching (for the second time) the "Band of Brothers" dvd series about Easy Company in the 101st Airborne during WWII. It's a very enjoyable series (even for Harmony who normally doesn't like war movies). Netflix is a very valuable resource to have especially when you live 50 miles from the nearest Blockbuster!


On Saturday we went down to Bismarck (our every other weekend trip) specifically for a "Pastor's appreciation night" at the local Christian bookstore. In addition to everything being 25% off for local pastors, they had drawings, snacks and freebies. We even ran into another pastor from Underwood (remember there are 6 churches for a town of 800!). I picked up a couple books and Harmony got a book and the new Caedmon's Call CD. The reference section of the bookstore was pretty much picked cleaned to which I remarked, "that's what you get with a bunch of pastors." Although I was glad for the discount and that there is a Christian bookstore in Bismarck, the state of Christian bookstores these days is pretty sad. For example, their self-help section is larger than their reference section, they have just about as many "Christian" fiction books as non-fiction, and although the have sections for men, women, family, children, teens, and prophecy, they don't have one specifically for theology! That is why I end up buying most of my books online.


I am currently working with the Elders in updating our worship songs. The church has been using an older hymnal and songbook up until now. I am trying to convince them to update their praise songs and possibly even invest in newer hymnals. I value hymns but also realize that there are just as many quality modern praise songs and we should seek a healthy balance. On a related note, I am becoming more and more thankful for the fact that we have two ladies who can play the piano/organ and one of our Elders is willing to lead the congregational singing. I took it for granted coming from a city church in which we had many talented musicians and singers. Apparently in small town churches, if you have even one piano player you're doing well.


Some of you may be wondering what the weather has been like lately in ND. Well, over the past couple weeks it has mainly been in the mid-to-upper fifties or low sixties (although tomorrow is supposed to get back into the seventies!). We haven't had any snow yet, although I'm sure it's around the corner. Harmony and I have enjoyed watching the nightly news and espeically on the weekends where they have the younger reports fill-in (the weekend weather guy on the CBS affiliate out of Minot is the age of Harmony's younger brother!). I call it, "when kids do the news."


Pray for wisdom for me as I seek to lead the church as I have been realizing more and more that if God is not at work then nothing I do will be of any real value. If you'd like to listen to this week's sermon on 1 Peter 3:8-12 entitled "Called to Righteous Living" click here.


By God's Grace, Jeff.

No comments: