Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Love Funnel Cakes

On Friday my wife and I attended the North Dakota State Fair held at the fairgrounds in Minot. It was pretty much your typical fair including carnvial rides, 4H clubs, nightly musical acts and fair food! My wife got her corn dog and I got my funnel cake. If for some reason you don't know what a funnel cake is (and if so you're missing out!), essentially it is fried dough usually topped with powdered sugar that you eat by tearing off strips. Anytime I'm at a fair or carnival I always make a point of getting one...it's my main reason for going!

Yesterday we realized that it was exactly a year ago (7/29/07) that we had loaded up the moving van and were heading from Evanston, IL to Underwood, ND. In celebration we went to the Burger Stop outside of Pick City for supper (dinner) and followed that up with an ice-cream cone at The Crab Apple. Both of these dining establishments are only open during the summer months. Pick City is near Lake Sakakawea and so their population really picks up from the end of May to the beginning of September as families visit to camp, boat and fish.

You probably heard about the "small" earthquake that hit the LA area yesterday. Both of our families still live in LA County and growing up I remember the Northridge Quake. Two friends and I were camping in one of their backyards when all of a sudden at about 5am it seemed like a train was steaming by right outside our tent. We weren't near the epicenter and didn't sustain any real damage but it was an unforgettable experience. The south has hurricanes, the midwest has tornados and the west coast has earthquakes.

Sunday I preached on Matthew 9:35-10:15 as part of our year-long series through the Gospel. The title of the sermon and main idea of this section of Matthew was "Disciples Become Disciplers." If you'd like to listen to the sermon click here.

Please pray for me in growing in wisdom for leading the church especially in how I approach those who are older and more experienced Christians with potential changes. Also pray for me in growing a love for the people of Faith Evangelical Church and Underwood. You can pray for Harmony to have wisdom in hiring someone to help out in the library.

By God's Grace, Jeff.

No comments: