Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Couda', Shouda', Wouda'...

My wife and I took an early morning trip up to Minot on Saturday so that we could get back in time to attend Central McLean's quarterfinal football playoff game. Unfortunately, they lost. Our star running back injured his ankle before halftime when we were up 8-7. We ended up losing 26-8. Now not to take anything away from Williams County, who has a very good team and an excellent quarterback, the game may have been closer if not the outcome different had we remained healthy. In 9-man football, when you lose one guy, you're in trouble!

On Tuesday the economic development group in town that my wife and I are part of held our community-wide kick-off. We had almost 60 people attend the free meal, intro to the program and first of three small group discussion sessions about alleviating poverty. On Sunday afternoon the group I am co-leading had our second meeting. We had a few less people than at the kick-off but still had a very good time of discussion. My wife and I are enjoying being part of a community in which you can really make a difference.

Well, after my ranting and raving about how I should think about the election...I ended up voting this morning. I am still not completely sure how to think about voting as a Christian but I came to the conclusion that if I don't believe Christians should vote then that only leaves non-Christians deciding the future of our local, state and federal government. I am just glad that God is in control and thus no matter what happens there's no need to be concerned. God is not in danger of losing His throne!

This past Sunday we were in the fourth week of our adult Sunday School series on the attributes/character of God entitled "The Joy of Knowing God". This week we looked at what it means that God is Good and Loving. We learned that God's goodness means that all He does is worthy of approval and that in fact He is the ultimate standard of good. We also learned that God being love means that He gives Himself freely to others and as a result it enables us to give of ourselves back to God and to others. Next week we'll be looking at God's Grace, Mercy and Patience.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: