Monday, November 9, 2009

Refreshing Contemporary Worship

This Sunday my friend Tim played on the guitar and sang "Better is One Day" during offertory. Believe it or not, it was the first time that we've had guitar accompanied worship since we've been here. Now, I have grown to appreciate hymns (and praise choruses) accompanied by either piano or organ but having grown up (spiritually speaking) in more contemporary churches, it was a breath of fresh air to here strumming along with a more recent worship song. And I am excited about Tim taking on a large role with the worship team and incorporating not only the guitar and some newer songs but also his gifting in the area of leading worship singing.

However, it also reminded me that the way I feel about contemporary worship songs and music is the same way that the older members of our congregation feel about hymns and the organ. I need to make sure that in my efforts to introduce the congregation to some newer music and sound that I don't neglect the spiritual benefit that many of the older songs and hymns provide. It is unfortunate that so much of the Evangelical world is divided over style of worship music. We have elevated a matter of preference to a hill that's worth dying on (or at least spitting over). Instead we need to realize that their are both older songs/music and newer ones that are worth incorporating into the church just as their are older and newer books that are worthwhile reading. Let's not demand that we have our way but be willing to adapt and grow as a result.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: