Thursday, August 2, 2007

Our Long Awaited Arrival

Thank you to everyone for all your prayers, encouragement and support over the past few months as Harmony and I prepared for our move to North Dakota and start of my new ministry as Pastor of Faith Evangelical.

We arrived in Underwood Tuesday afternoon safe and sound. I am greatful for the help of my in-laws during this move. I would have never got our dining room table or elliptical trainer put together if my father-in-law wasn't there nor would we have nearly as much out of boxes yet without my mother-in-law's help. We were also blessed to have many brother and sisters from Evanston Bible Fellowship help us pack the moving van on Sunday and many from Faith Evangelical to help us unload it. We have already begun to feel the tremendous hospitality with our cupboards being full before we've even been to the grocery store. I have been and am continually amazed at how God provides!

Last night we attended our first Bible study here and I met with the Elder Board. This Sunday I am excited to begin a preaching series through the Book of 1 Peter. Ever since we cadidated in April, God has put this book on my heart as what Faith Evangelical needs right now. The working title of the first sermon (1:1-2) is "Who we are shapes how we suffer." Suffering is a major theme in the book and Peter wastes little time in beginning to help his readers develop a theology of suffering by reminding them of precious truths about being a Christian and how knowing these should affect every aspect of our lives, including how we approach suffering. I am greatful to Pastor John Piper and Dr. Steve Roy at TEDS for encouraging pastors early on in ministry to help their congregations understand suffering from a Christian perspective. While not everyone is currently suffering, we all will and so it is vital develop an understanding of what it looks like to suffer in a way that glorifies God so that we will prepared.

This sure is a big change for us. Most of our congregation has never lived outside of North Dakota and we've never lived in a community without as many people as the whole state of North Dakota! We have enjoyed waving to people as we drive through the town, actually stopping and saying hi to those we walk past and the great kindness and acceptance we've received.

I did purchase a digital voice recorder to record my sermons and make them available online (If you know how to do this, please let me know!). Please pray for Harmony and I as we adjust to small town life and pray for wisdom for me to lead Faith Evangelical to a more God-honoring place.

No comments: