Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday...Harvest Fest!


This past Saturday was Underwood's annual fall celebration, "Harvest Fest." The day was full of community events such as horseshoes (my record 1-2), Kids/Teen/Adult Quest (team competition), kids "Corn Pageant" in which participants were judged in the best corn clothing competition and "corniest" joke, ice-cream social, and kids/adults tractor pull. In addition, Harmony and Rowena (one of the other women from church) competed in the adult corn clothing competition in which Harmony won first place for her corn hat (see picture)! It was a very fun day that enabled Harmony and I to get to know many more people in our new community.

The corporate worship service went well on Sunday. I am starting to get the hang of how the traditional service flows. One aspect in particular that I was not prepared for was the amount of praying that I am expected to do/lead during the service (coporate confession of sin, invocation, corporate prayer requests, prayer before offeratory). I am glad that prayer is a significant part of the service but it is cerainly different from what I'm used to and I am still adjusting to it. I got to meet a few people that had not been at church either last week or when Harmony and I visited in April, including one guy who is a contractor at a nearby windmill field (one of NDs numerous alternative energy sources).

We have been taking time to explore the communities surrounding Underwood. Yesterday we drove to Turtle Lake (about twenty miles away) which has the closest hospital and apparently at one time had a Foster Freeze (which unfortunately is now closed). We have discovered one unexpected blessing. In Washburn (15 miles south) there is a coffee shop! If you know me well, you know that I do some of my best reading/studying at coffee shops and so Harmony and I were very excited to have found one nearby...it may become a regular stop for us on my day off.

Please pray for Harmony and I to continue to get to know the people at Faith Evangelical and for God to grant me wisdom to lead the church and reach the community in a way that honors and pleases Him. Pray for Harmony as she seeks opportunities to share the Gospel at the library.

The sermon from this past Sunday is here if you'd like to listen to it (updated link).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I challenge the implication that I had any urge to go to the coffee shop... Although I did enjoy my iced vanilla latte :)

Sarah said...

Way to go Harmony! You made me proud! Jeff, I'm enjoying your blog, and Harmony, I enjoyed your email!