Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Will the 800 number still work after 20 years?"

Harmony and I took our every other week trip down to Bismarck on Saturday and, as we often do, brought a Papa Muphey's "Take & Bake" pizza home with us to cook up that night. After putting the pizza in our 1987 model oven I, for some reason, closed the lock handle that apparently you're only supposed to use when cleaning the oven. I tried to retrieve the pizza 12 minutes later only to find that I could not unlock the oven door...so I pushed even harder and ended up warping the handle! We had to call over one of the elders of our church who owned an electronics repair store for many years to help us almost completely dismantle the oven so that we could get trip the lock and retrieve the now burnt to a crisp pizza (an hour and a half later). I ended up having to taquitos for dinner.

On Thursday we were invited over to one of the farm house of one of the family's in the church for Thanksgiving. It was great getting to know them better and having a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner. On Sunday I preached for the first time at the Prarieview nursing home in Underwood. They ask the local pastors to help out once a month which I figure will give me the opportunity to serve the community and get to know some of the residents and staff there. It went well except for the worship singing which would have gone better had I chosen hymns that the organist and residents knew!

A month ago I saw an ad in the local paper that the school was looking for an assistant basketball coach. I grew up playing basketball in rec leagues, have always wanted to coach youth athletics and thought it would be a great way to get more involved in the community. After turning in my resume I hadn't heard back from the school and so figured they found someone with more experience. A week ago I received an email from the principal asking if I was still interested and after talking it over with Harmony and praying about it, I accepted. Due to the Thanksgiving weekend, I missed the first practice but have since attended the last two. There's another assistant (who coaches the JV team) in addition to myself and the head coach. I'm very excited about learning more about coaching and getting to know the students and community members through this. We have our first pre-season scrimmage this weekend and I'll try to remember to keep you posted with the results throughout the season.

Speaking of basketball...Duke looks really good this season! I know its still early but I think this could be a special team even though they're young (only one senior) and relatively short (7' foot reserve but no starter over 6'8"). The sermon this week was on 1 Peter 5:1-5 about right relationships in the Church. If you liked to hear it, click here. Pray for me to be even more diligent in serving the church having now added another activity, for Harmony in starting up a women's outreach bible study and our church starting up a youth ministry in January.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: