Friday, March 21, 2008

Glutton for Punishment

I guess I am a glutton for punishment but after remarking only a few weeks ago how nice it is to be done with basketball season...as of this week I've started a new season! I am coaching the 4th-6th grade basketball team at the school. This is way differnt than assisting with the high school team! At the same time, it's something that I've always wanted to do and am glad to be able to serve the community in this manner. You may wonder why 4th-6th grade and the reason is that Underwood doesn't have many boys in 5th and 6th grade. On the team we have 2 sixth graders, 4 fifth graders and 8 fourth graders. So far we've been working on the very basics like footwork, dribbling, lay-ups, passing, and the like. I know the kids really want to scrimmage but I have to keep reminding them that the drills we're doing now will help them become better basketball players in junior high and high school and will enable them to have more fun when we start scrimaging and playing games in April.

This past Sunday I preached on Psalm one and the sermon was entitled "Two Ways to Live." If you'd like to listen to it, you can by clicking here. This week I am going to preach a special Easter Sermon on Jesus' resurrection, followed next week by a sermon on Psalm two. Then when Harmony and I return from vacation, I'll be starting a year-long series through Matthew.

Pray for me to continue seeking to grow a love for the people of Faith Evangelical Church and the community of Underwood. Also pray for wisdom for myself and the Elders of the church as we begin making plans for some outreach events during the summer.

By God's Grace, Jeff.

No comments: