Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Bracket's Busted!

If you know me well (or at all), you probably have picked up on my love for Duke basketball. Ever since I was in junior high and became aware of college basketball, I have rooted for Duke (the year before their first national chapmpionship). Since entering my first NCAA pool sometime in college, I have pretty much picked Duke to win it all every season...and this season was no exception. Yes, they had been struggling down the stretch a bit but I thought with a little rest before the tourenament and what was considered a fairly easy bracket they had a chance. Alas, this was not to be their year. After squeaking through their opening round game (almost becoming the 5th 2 seed to lose to a 15 seed), they could not hit enough (any!) shots in the second half against West Virginia to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. To make matters worse, in last night's McDonald's All-American High School basketball game, there was only one future Duke player! I guess I'm just spoiled in thinking that Duke should advance to at least the Sweet Sixteen in the tourney and have 2 or 3 of the top recruits in the country each year. But as they say, there's always next year.


On Saturday Harmony and I helped out with the community Easter Egg Hunt. We had about 50 kids come out to play games and find eggs. It was a fun time and another good opportunity for us to get out into the community, to meet people, serve them and show that we care. One interesting note about me that not too many people know is that growing up in Virginia, I attend Easter egg hunts at the White House! My most memorable moment was getting Punky Brewster's autograph at one particular egg hunt (I was a big fan!).


On Sunday I preached more of a topical sermon on the resurrection: its proof, power and prompting in our lives. If you'd like to listen to this sermon dealing with the evidence for, alternatives to, power and prompting of Jesus Christ's resurrection click here (should be up soon). This week I'm preaching on psalm 2 and then I'll be gone for a week (so I may not have a chance to post until I return in early April).

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: