Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Season Finally

No, by "season finally" I'm not referring to an upcoming tv episode but to the elementary basketball season being finished as of yesterday. While we didn't win a single game, I could definitely see the kids improving as the season progressed and the fourth graders being in just about every one of their fifth grade games over the past couple weeks. I've mentioned to more than one person that when we've been in these games, if they would have concentrated as much on their defense as on the scoreboard, we might have pulled off a victory. I tried to convince them that if they focus on the game, the scoreboard will take care of itself...but alas, there's always next season. I told Harmony a couple of weeks ago that I enjoyed coaching the elementary students during their games but the high school students during their practices. I felt a lot of pressure in the high school games that I didn't with the younger kids but the older kids actually listen and concentrate (for the most part) during practice and so you're able to get a lot more accomplished. I am looking forward to having my afternoons and Saturdays back!

A couple Sundays ago we had a younger guy (i.e. my age!) attend the worship service and Sunday School. Unfortunately he's only here temporarily while working at one of the plants during a schedule maintainance outage. Talking about it afterwards, Harmony and I both agreed that we need more young guys in jeans in the church! Obviously this is probably true of not just our small town congregation but many (if not most) across the US. There aren't too many young, unmarried guys who are actively invovled in churches these days. Why is that? Some think it's because Christian worship services appeal too much to feminine interests (i.e. singing, fellowshipping, sitting and listening instead of doing). But although these may be accurate descriptions, it doesn't seem to get at the root of the problem. The reason I mention this is that I recently picked up "Do the Hard Things," which is a book written by two teenage guys who are calling young adults to live contrary to the world's standards and up to God's standards. Although I've only read through half of it (during last Saturday's basketball tournament...when I wasn't coaching!), their message really seems to resonate with why so many young people leave the church after high school and why so few young men in particular ever come back. If you have teens (or close to it) or are interested in these issues, check it out.

This past Sunday I preached on Matthew 3 and we saw that John the Baptist's ministry and lifestyle call all of us to prepare our own lives in order to receive the Kingdom of Heaven and in particular, the person and work of Jesus Christ. The main way we do this is by earnestly repenting, by turning away from sin and turning to God. Now, unfortunately my digital voice recorder wasn't working so I didn't get it on audio, but I would encourage you to read through the 17 verses of Matthew 3 and consider if you are heeding John's message in your life.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: