Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Going Green

No I haven't been sick and no I'm not planning on leaving pastoral ministry to join an environmental protection group but western North Dakota is becoming more green lately thanks to the rain we've had over the past couple weeks. We had very little snow this winter and almost no rain early in the spring but we're starting to make up for it in June. We've had rain at least every other day recently and it's starting to bring out the flowers and grass. I mentioned to my wife that we've had so much rain that it doesn't even look like I cut the grass a week and a half ago (or maybe it does and I just need to cut it more frequently). Either way I know it's the farmers and ranchers around here appreciate it.

This weekend we watched the movie "Bella" which is about a young waitress who becomes pregnant and a young chef who comes along side her during this difficult time in her life. I won't ruin anymore of it for you because it certainly is a movie worth seeing. We've also been getting hooked on the tv series "Lost." We never watched while it was on the air but have started renting the dvds of season one this summer and now see why it was such a big hit. One aspect of the show I really appreciate is how you see people's humanity and also God's common grace at work. All of the characters have their flaws and their redeeming qualities.

The sermon this past Sunday was on Matthew 6:19-34 and was entitled "Wholehearted Dependence." This is the section of the "Sermon on the Mount" in which Jesus talks about earthly treasure and anxiety being barriers to complete devotion to God. If you'd like to listen to the sermon click here.

Please pray for our "Worship in the park" service on Sunday June 22nd as we hope to reach the community with the love of Christ through an outdoor worship service, community BBQ and free swimming for kids. I have started to recommit myself to regular visitation to those in our church as part of my desire to grow in love for this congregation but you can pray that this would increase and God would give me wisdom in ministering during these visits. Finally, pray that I would not be seeking after both comfort and God but would be willing to forgo comfort in order to faithfully serve God in my marriage, ministry and life.

By God's Grace, Jeff

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just so you know, Lost is still very much on the air. Season Four just ended, but there will be two more seasons of 16 episodes. So get Lost with the rest of us!

ChetaMorton