Thursday, April 9, 2009

Back from Vacation

This past week my wife and I took a trip to LA where both of our families live. My wife had a cousin who was getting married this past Saturday and so we decided to use that as an excuse to escape the cold weather. We flew into LA (actually Long Beach) last Wednesday and got to meet my parents new Portuguese Water Dog, Isabelle (named after the queen who supported Columbus). We previous had a cat named Alexander (after the military leader Alexander the Great) who lived "up" to his namesake by being an "admire but don't touch" kind of pet. So I warned them about the wisdom of naming another animal after such a powerful world leader. But apparently they didn't take my advice and so now have a very precocious puppy who gets into anything and everything and doesn't have a problem ignoring the hand that feeds her or rolling her eyes when told she did something wrong. Though she is lots of fun and very cute.

The wedding didn't turn out as we had planned. I started coming down with a cold that morning (no doubt as a result of golfing for two days in-a-row, much of the time without a jacket!) and after sitting outside for an hour felt quite ill. So instead of enjoying the reception (that I heard was spectacular) we headed home early so that I could get some rest. I was out of commission for a day and a half which kind of put a damper on some of our plans. But we still got to spend quality time with both sets of parents and got to see my brother-in-law's new place. We also were able to dine at some of our favorite restaurants and catch up with our friends.

This past Tuesday we began our return by flying to Las Vegas. The airline that we take from Bismarck only flies to Vegas or Phoenix. But the nice thing is that we have friends in Vegas who we were able to get together with and had a great time catching up and encouraging one another. We also got to catch some rays by the pool of our hotel before heading back to the cold of North Dakota.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: