Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ducks in a Ditch

Because of all the snow North Dakota had, there are literally lakes where there shouldn't be. And as a result there are ducks where you wouldn't expect them. Now ducks usually prefer to swim in actual lakes or ponds but in our case some ducks seem to be fine with swimming in ditches off the side of the road that are filled with water. It's quite amusing to be driving down the highway and see ducks congregating just off the shoulder of the road.

Well, I feel like I have taken another big step into becoming fully immersed in the agrarian culture. On Monday I rented equipment for the first time from the Farm Supply store in town. No, I did not actually rent a farm implement per se, but I did borrow a power rake in order to prep our lawn for fertilizer. If you don't know what a power rake is (and I didn't until Monday), it's the size of a lawn mower and kicks up all the dead material under the lawn. So I mowed our lawn and then power raked it. Then my wife and I spent most of the afternoon "manually" raking up the dead vegetation. After watering the lawn, I put together the spreader I picked up in Bismarck over the weekend and prepared to fertilze the lawn. Unfortunately we didn't have near enough fertilizer to go around so I'll to have to pick some more up to finish the job.

On Sunday night I played basketball for the second week in a row and was quite a bit less soar on Monday than I had been last week. We had a few less guys this week so we played 4 on 4. I have always done better offenseively playing 4 on 4 rather than the traditional 5 on 5. I can remember back to elementary basketball how I used to score significantly more when there were two less guys on the court...which isn't saying much in terms of total output!

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: