Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What a Week!


Before recounting our full week, I wanted to mention something that I forgot about from last week. My wife and I were invited out to lunch at the Great River Energy Plant. I guess each month Great River hosts a luncheon in which they invite representative from each of the local communities as well as the Ethanol Plant and Coal Mine operation. It was neat to see the facilities up close. I had no idea of how large a place the Coal Creek Power Plant is. The highlight for me was definitely having to wear a hard hat as we walked through the facilities to the dining room. It made me long (if only for a moment) to have a job in which I could wear a hard hat each day.

On Friday my wife and I drove straight east 150 miles to Cooperstown, ND where our district's bible camp is located. Carrington was the largest town we drove past (probably about 3000). There towns spread out along highway 200 about ever 15 miles but many of them were nothing more than a few houses and a gas station. We arrived at Cooperstown Bible Camp at about 6:30 Friday night and were busy painting cabins by 7:30. The Bible Camp suffered quite a bit of damage as a result of the flooding earlier this spring and so Saturday we spent most of our time cleaning up the camp. We worked with some teens from First Free in Bismarck locating and organizing firewood that had been washed all over the camp and removing wet insulation from under some cabins that were affected by the floods. We left at 3:00 and were back in Underwood by 6:00 Saturday night.

After church on Sunday we hoped in the car again and drove up to Minot to celebrate our sixth anniversary. We stayed the night at a hotel, ate dinner at a Mexican restuarant and watched the new X-men movie. Then Monday we drove another 30 miles northwest to visit a goldendoodle breeder. We've been talking about getting a dog for awhile and finally settled on getting a doodle because of my allergies. We found a breeder north of Minot who recently had a litter and we went to see the puppies. The largest male of the litter, a black curly-coated guy, chose us. So we put down a deposit and should be able to bring him home at the end of June.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: