Friday, January 16, 2009

Did you hear the one about Olie?

Where I grew up, the "dumb" jokes were based on either the Polish or blondes. Now, I make a point not to use these jokes as they have a greater potential to tear down than to build up. However, in my pursuit of being a stute observer of my surrounding culture, I have noticed that instead of Polish or blondes, people in North Dakota use Norwegians in their "dumb" jokes. There were many Norwegian immigrants that came to North Dakota (along with Germans and others) and so for whatever reason, they became the punchline to jokes.

I had to laugh upon seeing a fellow blogger from the Chicago area report that the other day it was 15 below zero because early Thursday morning in Bismarck it was 44 below! Fortunately it is supposed to warm up into the low to mid 30s through early next week. Given what temperatures we have had around here that will seem like shorts and t-shirt weather! And by the way, the snow keeps pilling up. Even those who wanted snow are beginning to resent it.

I started junior high basketball practice last Thursday but because of the lousy weather have only had two practices as of yesterday! Practices were cancelled on Friday, Monday and Tuesday (there's no practice on Wednesdays). And if that weren't bad enough, our JV team had less guys come out this year and some injuries so whenever there's a JV game I lose four of my 8th graders for that day's practice. Despite these difficulties I am excited about coaching.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: