Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Resolution: No More Snow!

Okay, I know I can't actually resolve for North Dakota to receive no additional snow this winter but it would sure be nice. On Tuesday we got hammered with about another foot of snow! That makes over 30 inches for December...the most for any month on record for Bismarck. It took me an hour and a half to shovel our driveway which had a snow drift of a foot and a half covering half of it. We now have snow cliffs surrounding our walkway. If we get much more snow I have no idea of where I'll put it! Apparently during the winter of '97, Bismarck received a record 101" of snow. If 30" looks like this I can't even begin to imagine three times that amount...and sincerely hope that I won't have to!

Well, enough complaining. Doesn't the Bible say to do everything without complaining? (e.g. Philippians 2:14) I guess that covers shoveling snow as well. I was initially frustrated at having to shovel so much snow this winter, especially for the couple of weeks in mid-December where it seemed to snow every other day. However, I realized that one of the blessings of being a pastor is that except for Sundays, I don't really have any regular morning commitments that hinder me from taking the time to shovel. So I got that going for me.

This week I've been helping out at the high school basketball practices as the regular assistant coach is on vacation. It's been fun reconnecting with the kids and getting back into a basketball mindset (though my wife would say it never left). Starting next Thursday I'll be officially coaching the junior high team. I am very excited about working with the 6th-8th graders. Our first game isn't until later in January so we'll have a good few weeks to work on the basics.

Well my college teams went 1-1 this bowl season. Notre Dame broke its 15 year bowl winless drought by crushing Hawaii but Northwestern (my ala mater) was unable to finish off Missouri when they had the chance in the Alamo Bowl. The last time Northwestern was in the Alamo Bowl was my senior year. A group of us drove down to San Antonio from Chicago (in one day!), watched NU get slaughtered by Nebraska and then got stuck in an ice-storm in Texarkana on the way back (ah, memories).

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: