Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

So ever since I stepped foot into our parsonage and saw our large downstairs rec room, I knew this wouldn't truly be "home" until we got a table tennis table (it's not "ping pong" if you take it seriously). My wife agreed and so for about the last year we've been on the hunt for a reasonably priced table. In fact, I was supposed to get one for my birthday last year but we we're unable to find any used ones being sold in the Bismarck area or any affordable new ones at any of the stores. We found some good deals online but then you end up paying a ton in shipping costs. So at the end of our first year in North Dakota, the only ping pong we played was on the one in the church fellowship hall.

That has now all changed. My in-laws said they'd be willing to buy me a table for my upcoming birthday. So while shopping for Christmas presents at Target a few weeks ago, we noticed they had a SportsCraft table for $139.99 and there were three on the shelf. We decided not to purchase it then but to wait. So this past Monday we were at Target in Bismarck again and saw that there was only one table left and it was on sale for a third off. But the bottom of the box was ripped and we weren't sure if it was missing any parts. So we consulted an employee and she assured us that if anything was missing we could return it and since the box was in poor condition she called her manager for permission to sell the table to us for 75% off! We walked out of the store with a brand new table for $24, came home and found that all of the pieces were accounted for and now have a table tennis table.

I also realized that I haven't mentioned anything about pheasants lately. I posted a blog entry last year after one of the two times that we hit a pheasant during our first year in ND. By God's grace we have been saved so far from any further run-ins with our fair-feathered friends. However, due to the cold weather (and apparent lack of pheasant hunters!) they are literally lined up along US-83 from Underwood to Washburn (13 miles) and especially near the turn-off to the Ethanol plant where it seems they're awaiting spillage from trucks carrying corn. My wife assures me that these must be the more intelligent pheasants as they made it through hunting season, our cold/snowy December, and getting hit by cars so far. I'm not convince!

Junior high basketball practice kicks off this Thursday. Tomorrow we have Kids' Club after school. This Sunday (God willing) we'll finally be able to have an elder meeting (we've cancelled twice due to the snow). Please pray for our continued ministry in the church and town.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: