Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Off-season is Officially Over

As of yesterday I am officially coaching basketball again. I had a nice, relaxing week between the end of the junior high season and the beginning of elementary basketball. Fortunately, this year I'm co-coaching the elementary team with the girls' JV coach who also happens to have a son on the team. Steve has been coaching a lot longer than I have and so I am eager to learn from him. It also should be easier to control a bunch of 4th-6th graders with two coaches than just one. Our first practice I thought went really well and although the kids certainly have a LOT to learn, they seem excited about starting up the season and I believe this will be a good group of kids to work with. However, it's only the first week and we're already going to have to cancel a practice...

That's right, we're currently experiencing yet another snow storm. I thought that we were not only done with new snow but that most of what was still on the ground would be completely melted in another week or so. Not so fast my friend. Apparently March tends to be the snowiest month of the year and even though we been having nice weather the past week or so, we're back to the frozen tundra of North Dakota. School in Underwood is canceled and therefore basketball practice as well. In addition there's already been quite a bit of flooding in the state from the melting snow and from ice-dams forming in the rivers. I'm looking forward to our vacation to LA!

So how's your bracket doing? Well, thanks for asking. I am actually in two brackets and both of them seem to be in good shape (it helps when you pick mostly the same teams and they're all still in it). As those of you who know me could probably guess, I picked Duke to win it all. Now I know they are only a "2" seed this year and have a tough road ahead (Nova, Pitt and then a "third time's a charm" game against UNC) to even make it to the finals but what can I say?

I read an interesting book over the past couple weeks. "Odd Man Out" was written by a doctor named Matt McCarthy who in-between his graduation from Yale and beginning medical school at Harvard, played baseball in the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim's organization. He was a left-handed pitcher who was was drafted in the twenty-six round by the Angels and pitched the following year for the Provo Angels in the rookie ball league. It was interesting learning about the minor league baseball culture and experience. I gave me a whole new appreciation for what guys who've come up through the minors have gone through just to get to the major leagues.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: