Friday, September 28, 2007

Books I'm currently Reading





Harmony suggested that I post occasionally about the books that I'm currently reading. If you know me at all, you know I enjoy reading. Particularly I like reading theology, biographies and John Grisham novels. So here's what I'm currently reading:


Lectures to My Students by Charles Spurgeon. Spurgeon is one of my favorite preachers of the past. I was given this book by my Bible Study Leader in high school while I was serving as an assistant. I began reading it a couple times in the past but never finished. I have been challenged greatly by Spurgeon's teaching to those preparing for pastoral ministry. I wish I would have finished this book before entering the ministry but am glad God has brought it to my attention early on at least. I would highly recommend anyone considering ministry to read this and Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome by Kent Hughes before entering the pastorate.


Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp. This is a book on biblical counseling (along the lines of the "Center for Biblical Counseling") but is meant not mainly for professional counselors but the whole Church. I have found so much valuable teaching and practical applications in this book for both counseling others and evaluating my own heart. I hope to use this in the future to train Faith Evangelical for the purpose of building each other up.


John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace by Jonathan Aitken. Newton is famous for the hymn "Amazing Grace" and his life is a testimony to the truth of the amazing nature of God's grace (sinful slave trader to faithful servant). His struggle with sin growing up and with his calling to ministry is very powerful. Some parts of this biography are dry but overall I have been encouraged and challenged by it.


Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. One of the great benefits of having a wife whose a librarian is I get to check out brand-new books before they're even on the shelf! This book seems to be a combination of two other Grisham novels: Bleachers and The Brooker. I enjoyed it in spite of it being rather predictable, full of worldliness and a storyline that didn't always tie into the plot. However, I get the sense that part of Grisham's point was that everything in our lives doesn't always fit together the way we thought it might.


If you have read any of these let me know what you thought and I'd love further recommendations for books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, you might be interested in the book "The Lost Art of Happiness" by J.P. Moreland and Klaus Issler. I have currently misplaced my copy, but it is sure to spark some great thought and possibly conviction (it did for me) as you read it. Much of the content are obvious but often overlooked truths we find all over Scripture. I hope you like it. Let me know what you think.

Grace and peace, Ben.