Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Busy Week

The past week or so has been pretty full for both Harmony and I. Harmony substituted in the sch0ol library twice in the past week and once in first grade. Having been a high school teacher she wasn't sure how she'd do with first graders but it went well (some last minute advice from my Mom, an elementary teacher for over 40 years, helped). Substituting periodically been a good chance for her to make connections with teachers, staff and kids in the community.

Last Wednesday was a really busy day for me. For most of the day I attended a training event for a program that our community is participating in. The Horizon's program seeks to help small towns lower poverty and grow in leadership. Harmony and I have both signed up to help Underwood implement this program. For my part I will be facilitating a study group (focus group) consisting of asking people in the community for their insights into poverty and the resources we have and need to fight it. On Wednesday I was trained to lead this group.

Then in the afternoon we had the first "Kid's Club" event of the year. Harmony has taken on a larger role putting on the monthly bible study for elementary kids at school this year. Even though it took a lot of planning and exhausted us, we had over 50 kids attend! We'll be meeting the first Wednesday of every month through April so please be praying for us to be able to reach the kids in the community with the gospel.

Then on Friday Pastor Dean and I were asked to MC the homecoming parade. So at 1:15 we met at the school and lined up the floats and then at 1:45 MC'd the parade down main street. I provided the play-by-play and Dean added the color commentary (i.e. jokes). We had great weather and a lot of people from the community came out in support. That night Harmony and I attended the homecoming game, which Central McLean won (they're undefeated so far).

Fortunately we were able to bum around Saturday and get some things done around the house. So all-in-all it was a tiring but very good week. Please pray for the church as we begin a new adult Sunday School series this week on God's attributes. Pray also that I would be intentional about seeing my time as God's time, especially in using my "free" time wisely.

By God's Grace, Jeff

No comments: